Berry ‘Bread & Butter’ Pudding
Prep time 45mins
Cook time 35mins
We’re loving this Festive ‘Bread & Butter’ Pudding created by Trish Veitch – Research Chef at Monash University. If you suffer from a sensitive tummy, using our new Quinoa & Linseed Low FODMAP Loaf means ‘bread’ and butter puddings are no longer off the menu!
- Serve with some vanilla ice-cream (lactose free if required).
- Just before serving place some fresh mint leaves on top to make those wonderfully festive red, green and gold Christmas colours.
4 large eggs (262g)
1/4 cup (54g) raw sugar
1 vanilla bean, (seeds scraped) (0.5g) OR 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp (0.5g) Dutch cinnamon, ground
2 cups (250g) reduced fat milk (lactose free if required)
1 1/2 cups (358g) reduced fat cream (lactose free if required
1 cup (136g) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups (260g) strawberries, hulled and sliced (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup (72g) pure maple syrup
1. Grease a 5cm-deep, 17cm x 28cm (base) baking dish with canola oil. Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, milk and cream in a bowl.
2. Arrange half the bread slices on the tray’s base, carefully cover with half the egg mixture to cover the bread, then sprinkle with half the berries. Repeat with remaining bread, egg mixture and berries.
3. After resting the pudding at room temperature for about 1 1/2 hrs to ensure the bread has soaked up the egg mixture, drizzle with the maple syrup and bake in a preheated 180°C/160°C fan-forced oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
4. Rest the cooked pudding for about 15 minutes before portioning and serving. It is also good served at room temperature or cold.