Bread & Custard Pudding With Salted Caramel
Prep time 25 min
Cook time 35 min
A dish for the colder months, this warming and soul-satisfying party pleaser is on trend and sure to satisfy the family.
75g Butter, Soften
4 Egg Yolks
175g Caster Sugar
300ml Pouring Cream
300ml Thickened Cream
1 Vanilla Pod, Split Length Ways
1 Cinnamon Stick
3 tbs Of Marmalade
Salted Caramel Ingredients:
50g Brown Sugar
50g Caster Sugar
50g Golden Syrup
25ml Double Cream
1 tsp Sea Salt Flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar. Place both creams, cinnamon, marmalade and vanilla in a saucepan and set over a medium heat. When it just starts to boil remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Once cooled add a ladle full of cream mixture into the eggs and whisk (tempering the eggs) then add the rest of the cream to the eggs while whisking, strain custard and set aside until needed.
4. Lightly grease your individual ramekins with spray oil. Spread butter on the sliced bread on one side only and neatly line your individual ramekins with the buttered bread, then divide custard among the ramekins reserving 3 tablespoons of custard for later.
5. Place ramekins in a large baking tray and carefully pour enough boiling water to reach half way up the sides of the ramekins. Loosely cover with foil and bake in the oven for 10-15minutes.
6. In meantime make the salted caramel. Melt butter, sugars and syrup in a medium saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes, occasionally swirling the saucepan.
7. Remove from the heat and very carefully add the cream and the salt (the caramel will spit a bit at this point but it will quickly settle), swirl the cream around and return to the heat for another minute. Pour into a jug for serving.
8. Remove foil and brush remaining custard over the tops of the puddings. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve while still warm, with the salted caramel on the side and ENJOY!